Monday, March 25, 2013

Poem: Bury Me in the Morning (by Stephen A. Douglas, 1861)

Source: Pacific Commercial Advertiser. Honolulu: October 31, 1861. 

by Stephen A. Douglas

We find in our exchange papers the following plaintive and very peculiar poetical composition, which is attributed to the pen of the late Senator Douglas:

Bury me in the morning, mother-
     O, let me have the light
Of one bright day on my grave, mother,
     Ere you leave me with the night;
Alone in the night of the grave, mother,
     'Tis a thought of terrible fear-
And you will be here alone, mother,
     And stars will be shining here,
So bury me in the morning, mother,
    And let me have the light

Of one bright day on my grave, mother,
     Ere you leave me with the night.

You tell of the Savior's love, mother;
     I feel it in my heart--
But oh! from this beautiful world, mother,
     'Tis hard for young to part;
Forever to part, when here, mother,
     The soul is fain to stay;
For the grave is deep and dark, mother,
     And heaven seems far away.
Then bury me in the morning, mother,
     And let me have the light
Of one bright day on my grave, mother,
     Ere I'm alone with the night. 






No comments:

Post a Comment