Thursday, February 14, 2013

Gen Rousseau: Opinion on Fate of Slavery if War Continues: 1862



Gen. Rousseau, of Kentucky Gives His Opinion of the Fate of Slavery if the War Continues
Source: Pacific Commercial Advertiser. Honolulu: September 18, 1862. 

A monster banquet was given in louisville on the 17th, to Gen. Lovell H. Rousseau, of the Louisville Legion, who displayed great gallantry at Shiloh. Hon. James Guthrie presided. Gen. Rousseau, in response to a toast, used the following language, which, coming from one of the strongest conservatives in the army, in entitled to great consideration:

"Gen. Halleck's army in its intercourse with the secessionists, has pleaded and is still pleading for peace under the old Government, offering to our Southern brethren all they ever had, and claiming nothing except in common with them. They want to take nothing from any one, but desire that their Southern brethren shall enjoy all their rights unimpaired. But the negro is in the way, inspire of all that can be done or said. Standing before the eyes of the secessionists, the negro hides all the blessings of our Government, throwing a black shadow on the sun itself. If it had been any other species of property that stood in the way, the army, provoked as it has been, would, willingly have seen its quick destruction.  But the negro they did not wish to interfere with in any way. Yet, with all its conservatism and patriotism, the army has grown weary of this insane cry of "abolitionism" as a cause for breaking up the Government. I have warned our Southern friends of the danger of continuing it much longer; and I tell you to-night that, if this war continues a year from this day, there will not be a slave on this continent. The great revolution will take care of itself-the dead will bury its dead-and those who are causing all the bloodshed and desolation around us under the false pretense that we desire to free their negroes, will, if they persist, one day will find slavery snuffed out as you snuff out a candle. Slavery is not worth our Government. It is not worth our liberty. It is not worth all the precious blood now being poured out for freedom. It is not worth the free navigation of the Mississippi River. No; we must still have our Government-if not as it now is, with slavery in it, still we must have our Government. We cannot be slaves to Jeff. Davis & Co. We must and will be free. We must have the free navigation of the Mississippi River; and if slavery gets in the way of any of these rights, why slavery must get out of the way. That would be the last resort, and I should be sorry to have recourse to it; but I am for the Government of our fathers against all things and everybody. Whilst the liberties of the people are secure under it, as they ever have been, I would allow nothing but death to prevent my upholding it. And, loth as you may be to decide, you will soon, as I believe, be called upon to do so. In spite of your entreaties, the issue will be cruelly thrust upon you, and you will be forced to decide between slavery and your wives and children. As for me, I am ready for the responsibility. A Southern man as I am, born and brought up in the South, I could not hesitate one moment when the issue is presented between the nigger and the Government of our fathers. I am for the Government of the United States against all its enemies. I hope and pray that our Northern friends will not force us to extremes on this sensitive point. We deprecate such a result, for we want our rights under the Constitution, and we are ready to fight for theirs under the good old Government. I would to-day most willingly gird on my sword and fight for any right belonging to them, slavery included; but they must not put slavery between me and the Government and laws of the United States. I will not consent to become a slave that the negro may be kept a slave. I will not sacrifice the happiness of my wife, children, and friends, the welfare of my beloved State, and the glory of my country on an altar dedicated to the 'Ebony Idol.'" 




No comments:

Post a Comment