Sunday, February 24, 2013

The True Spirit of a Federal Soldier (1863)



Source: The Friend. Honolulu: December 1, 1863. 

John B. Marsh, son of Rev. Leonard Marsh, living South, was conscripted into the rebel army. Being a Union man, he deserted, but was captured and shot at Vicksburg recently. Before being taken from prison, he left the following note with a fellow prisoner lately returned: " Kind friend—If you ever reach our happy lines, please have this put in the Northern papers, that my father, Rev. Leonard Marsh, who lives in Maine, may know what has become of me, and what I was shot for. It was for defending my noble country. I love her, and am willing to die for her. Tell my parents I am also happy in the Lord. My future is bright. I hope to see you when I pass out to die. JOHN B. MARSH." When Marsh was placed on his coffin, he took off his hat and cried, "Three cheers for the old flag and the Union ;" then swung his hat and shouted, "Hurrah ! Hurrah ! Hurrah !" and fell pierced by a dozen bullets.



No comments:

Post a Comment